The Health Committee Report
Health is an essential quality-of-life element that rarely gets the attention it requires in the black community and society at large. Issues related to psychological well-being compound the impact of the five diseases known to affect black men the most: hypertension, cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes and cancer. There is a need for increasing awareness about the state of the physical and psychological health of the African American male -- the
abandoned minority -- and constructively engage this neglected population.
Increase awareness of the state of the physical and psychological health of the African American male -- the abandoned minority -- and constructively engage this neglected population.
Recommendation No 1: Establish Citywide Information Campaign
Action Step No. 1:
Employ flyers, religious institutions, peer specialists, websites and complementary institutions to disseminate information regarding the status of Black male physical and mental health.
Recommendation No. 2: Establish Citywide Educational and Health-Enhancing Events
Action Step No. 1: Establish workshops, group activities, lectures, community health fairs, and one-stop health-enhancing resources
Recommendation No. 3: Ongoing Research Project
Action Step No. 1:Establish an ongoing research project involving Black male mental and physical health professionals to investigate the most current and effective findings in assessing and treating mental and physical maladies disproportionately
Stay Up To Date
Check out our events and activites about issues effecting today's men
Upcoming Events Here is a list of upcoming events
1. Stay Calm Don't Argue
2. Turn off the car and turn on internal lights
3. Open the window
4. Keep your hands where police can see them
5. Upon request show police driver's license, registration and proof of insurance.
6. Politely ask why you are being pulled over.
7. Dont't talk yourself into a ticket
8. Make no moves whil police are talking to you.
9. In certain cases your car can be searched withou warrant. To protect yoursel later, you should state that you do not consent to a search. It is not lawful for police to arrest you simply for refusing to consent to a search.
10. Don't bad mouth a police officer or run away, even if you believe what is happening is unreasonable. This tyoe of behaviour could lead to your arrest.